FAA Drone Info

FAA Drone

For the latest in formation, please visit FAA DroneZone.  

(click on logo for website)


There are several federal, state and local requirements to operate an agriculture drone in the United States legally. FlyingAg recommends Rupprecht Law, they are well-versed in the legal aspects of drone operations. This attorney will guide you through the process, should you purchase your drone from us, or one of our authorized resellers. The only fees you will pay for this service are those required by the attorney and any fees associated with FAA filings. FlyingAg, nor our authorized resellers, will add any additional fees.

You can rest easy knowing you're legal at the end of the process.

FAA Part 107 Drone Pilot License

This indicates you have a strong, solid foundation and working knowledge of the FAA’s regulations, operating requirements and safety protocols for drone operations.

• Test must be taken at an FAA-approved facility. The cost is $175.
• Must score 70% to pass. The test is 60 questions.
• Night operations ARE COVERED.

For more information on the Part 107, please visit:

FlyingAg can provide a training course that has a 99% pass rate. Please contact us for more information.

FAA Part 137 Aerial Applicator License

This license allows you to dispense chemicals from a drone legally. Note that not ALL substances will fall under this regulation, so you should first check to see if the substance you intend to spray falls under the scope of Part 137.

In the past, this is one of the more involved processes. The FAA is implementing new policies and procedures to make this easier to obtain than ever.

For full details, please visit:

Heavy Drone Exemption

You must file this exemption if you purchase a T40, or any drone weighing more than 55 pounds.

Please note, under new FAA regulations, once this exemption is granted, you will be clear to fly any drone on an officially approved list. This list will update as new aircraft are brought online and pass FAA muster.

 FAA Medical Certificate

If you will be flying anything over 55 pounds, including the T40, you must obtain a FAA 3rd class medical certificate. The previous requirement was a 2nd class medical certificate.

This is a physical conducted by a FAA-designated Aviation Medical Examiner (AME). Similar to the requirements for a CDL, if you are familiar with those.

Drone Registration

All drones weighing over .55 pounds must be registered with the FAA. As a result, even many very small drones must be registered if they are being used commercially. All Matrice, & Agras drones will require registration. You will receive an FAA registration certificate and must have this, or a digital copy, in your possession when you fly. Also, you must display the number clearly and legibly on the aircraft, just like an airplane’s tail number.

For more information on the registration process, please visit:

State and Local Applicator Licenses

Be sure to check with your state and local authorities to obtain the proper chemical applicator licenses required in your area.


Let’s face it, we live in a litigious society, so you want to ensure you’re covered.  Drone insurance is easy to come by today.